Do you ever get bored with the way you serve pasta? Red sauce, white sauce, plain old butter, olive oil (I hear people use pesto, not an option here.) There are different ways to dress it up, and different proteins to add, but often kids, in particular, latch onto one type of pasta and aren’t interested in any others.
I recently remembered this recipe and decided it was high time to make it again. I have lots of pumpkin puree to use up and figured that even if the kids didn’t care for it (they didn’t) this would give hubby and I something different on our plates.
This dish has hints of pumpkin pie flavorings, but is still a savory dish. I served it with rotini and baked chicken, and salads for a veggie. Yum!
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
This recipe is free of peanut, tree nut, egg (depending on pasta), soy, gluten (depending on pasta), fish, shellfish, and corn.
- 1 box pasta of your choice (can be GF)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups allergy-friendly chicken broth (your own is fine, too!)
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cups (or 1 15oz can) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I usually just use 1/8 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Fresh parsley or oregano, chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese