I’ve been making homemade pizza a lot lately. I thought it would be fun to make my own crust, but that meant I also needed my own toppings as well. We had a few jars and frozen packets of sauce, but I thought most of those were too sweet. Then I remembered this recipe, which my mom used to make while I was growing up. I’m happy to report that it tastes just as good now as it did back then!
(top 8 free)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 16 ounces fresh tomatoes (or 16oz can tomatoes)
- 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper
1. Blanch your tomatoes: drop tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute, then pull them out with a slotted spoon and plunge immediately into cold water. Peel off the loose skin and discard.
2. Mince your garlic. Drain the tomatoes and chop them.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Makes enough for two pizzas.
It freezes well, too. Eat half tonight, and save the rest for your next pizza night!
We do movie night every Friday, when we eat downstairs in front of the TV. Pizza makes a great meal for movie night!