Happy Independence Day!
If you need a last-minute dessert to wow your family or friends today, try out this patriotic Fruit Pizza recipe! It’s sure to be a hit!
This recipe is top 8 free if you use a non-dairy cream "cheese." Free of peanut, tree nut, egg, soy, wheat, dairy, fish, shellfish, seeds, and corn. (Although as I made it, it did contain wheat and dairy.
- ~4 cups sugar cookie dough
- 8 oz cream cheese or alternative, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- optional additional fruit of your choosing
- For the "pizza" crust, press out the cookie dough evenly onto a large, rectangular cookie sheet or a round pizza pan. Prick with the tines of a fork.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 8 minutes, or until golden. Allow cookie to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cookie crust.
- Halve your strawberries. If using any fruit that browns, toss it with lemon juice.
- Arrange your fruit on top of the cream cheese "sauce."
- Chill for one hour, or until ready to serve.
You’ll need a good sugar cookie recipe for this pizza. I used a half-batch of this Top 8 Free Sugar Cookie Recipe, which I’ve used before and we all love. Feel free to use wheat flour, butter, or eggs if appropriate for your family–it works great both with and without the “real thing.”
You don’t have to wait for the dough to chill when you’re baking the cookie into a rectangle or circle–and it’s easier to press into shape when it’s warmer anyway. Press the dough to fill the space, and then use a rolling pin, if necessary, to make the surface more uniform.
I also lined the pan with parchment paper before spreading the dough, to make the slices easier to remove.
Combine your cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Try this with Daiya cream cheese alternative, or another alternative, to make this dessert safe for someone with a dairy allergy.
Spread topping over your cooled cookie crust.
Prepare your fruit–you’ll want it in small slices or pieces. In this case since I was making a flag, I just used about a pound and a half of halved strawberries and maybe 8 ounces of blueberries–but I tend to add kiwi and bananas when making this at other times. Use whatever fruits are your favorite! If using any fruit that browns, toss the cut slices with lemon juice.
Arrange your fruit on top of the cream cheese “sauce.”
Cover with plastic wrap or another covering to keep the cream cheese from drying out too much. Chill for one hour, or until ready to serve. Enjoy!
And don’t forget that at Allergy Superheroes, we’re running a promotion for the holiday! Use the code BLAST16 and get 15% off anything in our store!
Please have a fun and safe holiday–beware of allergens AND stray fireworks!
Linking up at Allergy Free Thursdays and Gluten Free Fridays
2 thoughts on “Fruit Pizza”
Is there any coconut in this?
I apologize for neglecting my comments! The way I usually make it, no, there’s no coconut. Most of the time I use real dairy though (butter in the cookie, cream cheese for the “sauce.”) I know some dairy substitutes use coconut, so you’d have to be careful in choosing those.